With more engagement shifting to digital form, a screen recorder has become necessary. This is because it can help create presentations and tutorial videos and capture a clip from a movie or YouTube video to share with your peers. That is why in this article, we will go over thirteen of the best screen recording extensions available for Google Chrome and list their pros and cons.
Best Screen Recording Extensions for Google Chrome
Most of us use Chrome or some other Chromium-based browser like Microsoft Edge or Brave as our default browser. And even though Chrome provides us with a sufficient number of features, the lack of a built-in screen recorder is sorely missed.
This led us to curate a list of the best Chrome extensions for recording screen video. We tried multiple extensions and sorted out thirteen options that might interest you. So without any further delay, let us jump into the list.
All the extensions listed below have been tested individually to be able to record content on Netflix, Prime Video, and other streaming platforms.
1. Reelia Screen Recorder and Editor
Reelia is a free screen recording extension that checks all the boxes and works flawlessly across Chrome, Edge, and Brave browser. It lets you record the current tab or the entire window and can also be used to record a webcam. You can use it to record clips of your favorite shows and movies on Netflix to share with friends.
The extension can be useful for tutorials as you can highlight the cursor and annotate the screen while recording. Even though it is free, it does not add any watermark to recorded videos.
- Highlight the cursor and annotate the screen while recording.
- Allows screen recording of Netflix video.
- Lets you manage and edit your recorded clips.
- Lacks option to select recording quality and resolution.
- Does not support exporting videos to MP4.
Download: Reelia Screen Recorder and Editor
2. REC High-Quality Screen Recorder
If you’re looking for a basic screen recording tool that can help you capture your screen or record videos for sharing clips, then REC might come in handy for you. This free Chrome extension lets you record a tab, an entire window, or only a selected portion of the screen.
Apart from the initial sign-in, there is no setup process, and you can start using it immediately. Recorded files are stored locally on your computer.
- Basic screen recorder extension with simple controls.
- Lets you record a selected area of the screen.
- Can also record webcam and mic audio along with Netflix videos.
- Requires sign-in to record the screen.
- Minor issues while recording webcam.
Download: REC High-Quality Screen Recorder
3. Screeny Screen Capture and Recorder
Screeny is another useful screen recording extension that allows you to record your screen along with a webcam. You can record the entire screen or a particular Chrome tab. Another benefit of Screeny is that it can also take screenshots and comes well-equipped with annotation tools to edit screenshots later.
If that is not enough, you can also export WebM format recordings to MP4 and share videos easily on Google Drive using the quick share button.
- Lets you capture a screenshot of the whole page or custom area.
- Export Webm format recordings to MP4.
- Good selection of annotation tools for screenshots and quick sharing to Google Drive.
- No option to edit videos after recording.
- Cannot export video size greater than 200 MB.
Download: Screeny Screen Capture and Recorder
4. Screencastify Screen Video Recorder
Screencastify is a popular screen recording extension with millions of users across the globe. This Chrome extension is helpful for teachers and those requiring a screen recorder for productivity reasons, as it offers multiple tools to annotate while recording.
You can add questions related to the video and view its analytics. The only limitation with this extension is that you can only record up to 5 minutes without a watermark and store 10 videos in the library. You will also need to upgrade to the Pro version to export videos to MP4.
- Draw, annotate, add stickers and use different cursor effects while recording.
- Export videos to YouTube in MP4 format and as a GIF.
- Built-in editing tool to crop, edit, trim and merge screen recordings.
- Requires sign-in after the initial installation.
- Only lets you record for 5 minutes without a watermark on the free version.
- Some features are locked behind the Pro version.
Download: Screencastify Screen Video Recorder
5. iCapture Screen Record and Draw
Adding to the list of basic screen recorders, we have the iCapture extension. iCapture lets you choose the recording quality beforehand and allows you to record the screen for an unlimited duration without any watermark. It can also record videos from streaming services like Netflix.
Other than recording, you can also capture screenshots with this extension, and it comes with built-in tools to draw, annotate and highlight things in the screenshot. But it lacks the option to record webcam videos or edit/trim clips after recording.
- Allows you to select screen recording quality.
- Built-in tool to draw, highlight, annotate and take screenshots.
- Assign shortcuts to play, pause and resume recording.
- Does not support webcam recording.
- No option to edit videos after recording.
Download: iCapture Screen Record and Draw
6. Awesome Screenshot and Screen Recorder
With over 2 million downloads, Awesome Screenshot and Screen Recorder is among the most popular screen recording extension on Chrome. It lets you record in different resolutions. It has a built-in annotation tool to edit or annotate while or after recording your screen.
You can also take screenshots with this extension. There is a Pro version that lets you screen record in 1080p and 4K resolution, but other than that, the extension is free to use.
- Allows you to record the screen at 720p, 1080p, and 4K.
- Built-in editing and annotation tools.
- Lets you take screenshots and edit videos after recording.
- 1080p and 4K recordings are available in the Pro version.
- Requires sign-in to use the extension.
Download: Awesome Screenshot and Screen Recorder
7. Loom Screen Recorder and Screen Capture
Loom screen recorder for Chrome packs in multiple features in one extension. As a screen recorder, it lets you record the current window or tab in different resolutions. You can blur certain portions while recording and filter unwanted noise in the video.
It is an enterprise product that also doubles as a workspace where you can add team members and work on a project, share with them, comment on recordings, and add calls to action. But features like call to action and 4K recording are locked behind the Enterprise version of extension.
- Create a workspace and invite team members to work on a project.
- Record the screen in up to 4K resolution.
- Ability to blur selected items, webcam footage adjustment, and floating control panel.
- The free version can only record in 720p and store 25 projects.
- Lacks the option to annotate recordings.
Download: Loom Screen Recorder and Screen Capture
8. Scre.io Screen Recorder
Screen Recorder does what its name suggests. It lets you record your screen- a completely free-to-use extension with no Pro version. This means there is no limit on recording duration, and it does not add any watermark to the video. It is a fairly simple and honestly barebones screen recorder that should suffice your basic requirements.
- Free to use Chrome extension with no limit on recording duration.
- Lets you embed webcam recordings.
- Allows you to record Netflix and other streaming platforms.
- No option to edit or trim videos after screen recording.
- Cannot export videos to MP4 format.
Download: Screen Recorder
9. Hippo Video and Screen Recorder
If you’re looking for a free screen recorder that can record videos up to 1080p, then Hippo Screen Recorder might be the extension you’re looking for. You can select from 360p, 480p, 720p, and 1080p resolution.
It also features the option to highlight, draw, annotate, and focus on the cursor while screen recording. But you must create a Hippo account to use all its functions.
- Record in up to 1080p resolution.
- Highlight, draw, cursor focus, and mouse clicks animation options.
- Option to change webcam window shape and position before recording.
- Requires you to set up an account before using the extension.
- No option to edit videos after recording.
Download: Hippo Video and Screen Recorder
10. Vimeo Screen & Webcam Recorder
Vimeo is a well-known video-sharing platform, just like YouTube. This is their official Chrome extension that allows you to record your entire screen, window, or specific tab, as well as your webcam and mic.
The extension allows unlimited free video recording, and you can edit videos after recording with the provided editor. But you will be required to create a Vimeo account or sign in using your Google account to record and download screen recordings.
- Free-to-use extension with a clean interface.
- Edit thumbnails, trim recordings, and create GIFs in the provided editor.
- Add comments, view video analytics and add chapter markers.
- Requires creating a Vimeo account to record and save videos.
- No option to highlight or annotate recordings.
Download: Vimeo Screen & Webcam Recorder
11. Vidyard Webcam & Screen Recorder
Vidyard is yet another enterprise screen recording extension for Google Chrome that lets you capture the screen and webcam in high quality. It offers a few tools to draw or add notes while recording and an option to edit the thumbnail of your recording.
Like other enterprise screen recording extensions, you can share videos on multiple platforms, add comments, and glance at analytics, including how long others have watched the video.
- Record and capture your screen in HD quality.
- Highlight, draw, and add notes while recording.
- Trim your recordings and edit thumbnails.
- Requires you to set up an account with Vidyard.
- Screen recordings are limited to 30 minutes on the free version.
Download: Vidyard Webcam & Screen Recorder
12. Nimbus Screenshot & Screen Video Recorder
Nimbus is yet another screen recording extension that has been available for a long time. It lets you capture screen recordings and screenshots of the entire screen, current window, or tab, along with scrolling and custom screenshots.
You can then annotate your screenshots and trim your videos with the built-in editing tools. Nimbus also offers the option to export recordings to MP4 or GIF files. It has a pro version that lets you access your library offline, backup recordings weekly, and much more.
- Capture screen recordings with an embedded webcam.
- Take scrolling, full-page, or custom screenshot and annotate them with provided tools.
- Export videos to MP4 or GIF and upload them to YouTube, DropBox, and Google Drive.
- Requires you to create a Nimbus account.
- Certain features are locked behind the Pro version.
13. Screenity Screen Recorder and Annotation Tool
Saving the best one for last, we have Screenity, an open-source screen recording extension. Like other extensions in this list, you can record screen and webcam, but Screenity lets you choose the recording frame rate and quality. You can also draw, type, or annotate while recording videos.
And once you are done recording, you can export the video to MP4, trim or crop the video and upload it to Google Drive. It is a complete package with no additional cost.
- Record screen in 30fps or 60fps.
- Change video recording quality and export videos to MP4.
- Draw or write while recording videos.
- Minor issues with playback.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I Screen Record Zoom Meetings?
Yes. You can screen-record meetings on the Zoom app. Voice conferencing services like Zoom and Google Meet do offer the option to record the sessions.
Q. Is it Safe to Allow Camera and Mic Permission to Extensions?
This depends on the use case of the extension. For example, it is safe to provide camera and mic access to screen recording extensions as they will require it for capturing webcam footage. But you can provoke permission anytime from Chrome settings.
Q. Can I Change the Camera and Mic Source in Screen Recording Extensions?
Yes. All the extensions mentioned in this list allow you to select the camera and mic source to select an external webcam or mic. You can also change the default camera and mic source within Chrome.
Q. Is It Possible to Record Netflix using Screen Recording Extensions?
Yes. Most, if not all, extensions do allow you to record Netflix and other streaming services with audio. However, it might only work when the streaming service runs on a Chrome tab.
Q. Is There a Built-In Screen Recorder in Windows?
Windows comes with an Xbox screen recorder. To use it, press Windows Key + G to activate Xbox Game Bar on your Windows computer and select the Capture option to screen record. Then press Record or use the Windows key + Alt + R to start and stop recording.
Q. Which is the Best Screen Recording Extension for Chrome?
It entirely depends on your use case. Do you want a basic screen recorder that does the job or an extension that lets you work on a project with multiple team members? Hopefully, one of the extensions mentioned in this list will suit your needs.
Recording Chrome Screen With Ease
This brings us to the end of the article. These were the best extensions for recording the screen on the Google Chrome browser. You cannot go wrong with any of the extensions mentioned in this list, as we have tested each one thoroughly. If you have a. favorite screen recording extension not mentioned on the list, let us know in the comments below.